What's your full name?
你的全名是什么?
My name is Yang Fan.
我叫杨凡。
What's the meaning of your Chinese name?
你的中文名字是什么意思?
The Chinese character means bravery. My parents want me to be brave and courageous when I grow up.
汉字的意思是勇敢。我的父母希望我长大后勇敢无畏。
What shall I call you?
我该叫你什么?
You can call me Will. It's my English name.
你可以叫我威尔。这是我的英文名字。
Do Chinese people like changing their names?
中国人喜欢改名字吗?
No we don't, because we are traditional and in Chinese culture changing name is a big event.
不,我们没有,因为我们是传统的,在中国文化中,改名是一件大事。
What kind of people in China like changing their names?
中国什么样的人喜欢改名?
As far as I am concerned only people in entertainment field would like to change their names to make themselves more famous.
就我而言,只有娱乐界的人愿意改名以使自己更出名。
Is there any rule for Chinese people giving names to their children?
中国人给孩子取名字有什么规定吗?
In China many people have their family trees.
在中国,许多人都有自己的家谱。
In a family tree people of the same generation always share the same middle name.
在族谱中,同一代人总是使用相同的中间名。
For example my grandpa has a middle name Duh which means good morality.
例如,我爷爷有一个中间名Duh,意思是良好的道德。
All his cousins share the same middle name as his.
他所有的堂兄弟姐妹都和他同名。